Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Love Birds

Good morning!  My name is Alexander Hawthorn Nathaniel Beeker XVI.  Just call me Alex.


I am here today to tell a love story - the story of Molly and Ben.

That's Ben over there.  And that's his house.  It was everything a bird could want...yet Ben was unhappy.  He was alone. 

He was also camera shy.


One snowy day he caught the eye of the lovely Molly, and he instantly fell in love.

Ben asked her to move into his house, but Molly was a lady of fine breeding, and told him that she would never consider living with him without the benefit of marriage.

"M...m...m...marriage!?" he faltered.  "But...but, I'm not ready for that kind of commitment!  Look, I'll refurnish the house just for you!"


But still she refused.  "I'd rather freeze out here in the snow!"  she sniffed, and she turned her back on him.


"I have berries..." he enticed her.  "Chocolate covered berries..." 

Ben mistook the fire in her eyes as passion for him, and proposed on the spot.

He swelled with pride at his prowess.  "Who's the man?  Who's the man?"  he shouted into the darkening skies.

They were married immediately and Molly moved into the big house.  They were very happy.

One day, with Ben out shopping for groceries and Molly visiting her mother, a cute little chick named Bonnie spied the big house and came calling.  After knocking several times and finding no occupants, she laid claim to the house and moved in.


When Ben returned and dropped the groceries inside, he found Bonnie sprawled across his nest.


"Who are you?" he demanded, rather hysterically.  "What are you doing here?"

"I'm Bonnie, and I'm just tweeting a few friends, inviting them over for a housewarming party," she said innocently.

I would have asked where she'd gotten the iPhone.


"Get out!  Get out before my wife comes back!" Ben told her in panic. 

"Get out?" Bonnie said.  "But it's snowing again!  And who made you ruler of the roost, anyway, huh?  We women have rights now, you know!"  And with that, she budged him aside and settled herself once again atop the soft nest inside.  Try as he might, Ben could not convince Bonnie to leave.

When Molly returned and saw Ben in a house full of partying ladies, she flew into a jealous rage.

"I'll have the divorce papers drawn up tomorrow," she screeched, "and don't EVEN think you're getting this house!"

Despondent, Ben flew to his old nest in a cold crabapple tree.

But Molly was heartbroken and found that she couldn't sleep in an empty nest.  Distraught, she donned her winter coat and slept outside on the snowy ledge.

Enter the villain, Snape.

(His parents named him before they'd finished reading the last Harry Potter book.  They didn't know old Snape was decent in the end.)

This is my imitation of him.  Pretty cool, huh?

Snape had been watching our little Molly during the night and had concocted a plan to take advantage of her newly broken heart and make her his own.

Oh, the angst!  I simply could not stand by and allow this rogue to take Ben's grieving wife!  But what could I do?

Quickly, I devised a plan to entrap Snape.  As I lacked the necessary...attributes...to entice him, I enlisted the aid of a comely young lass named Sophia.  "Can we talk?"  I asked of her, and I outlined my scheme.

 "I don't know," she fretted.  "It sounds kind of...devious."

"I'll have to think it over..."

"Ummmm...what's in it for me?"



"I'M IN!" she said, eyes wide and beak gaping.

That was easy.


With Sophia on board, we laid our trap and waited for Snape to make his move.

"Good...good," I whispered silently from the sidelines.  "Now!  Give him that 'come hither' look!"



"Closer...closer..." I found myself whispering.

"Work it...work it..."


I waited until just the right moment, then gave the word:  "Fly!  Fly under the table now!

"Oh, I feel so cheap," Sophia rued.

(She got over it when Big Red swept her off her feet.)


But Snape took the bait!  His beak was caught, and...well, Snape was...out of the picture, so to say.
And what happened then?  Well, the rest, as they say, is history.


Bonnie took a shine to a tall, handsome stranger...


...and flew the coop to be with him.


Molly moved back into their home, and Ben came begging forgiveness.  She tearfully relented....


...and they lived happily ever after.


THE END



27 comments:

  1. Loved, loved, loved that story! And the photos are amazing! How do you do it? Where do you get your creativity from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have the most amazing imagination...and a great camera eye as well...smiles...loved the tale of woe and love...and all your cute birds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you are going to make me late for work reading to the end of this post just to see what happens. And they lived happily ever after!!! Beautiful pictures. Were those taken outside of your house? It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say congratulations on post of the week. Your photos are so amazing and you deserve it. Not only are you one of the most talented authors blogging but also you produce professional quality photos. You are amazing. Want to thank you too for all the support you give to my blog. You are an amazing friend.
    P.S. - Please send birds my way. I'm envious of them as well in my winter world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. That Alex tells a good story, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures AND a love story! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story and photos have me all atwitter! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a happy ending ♥ Such a great story with pics to match. Your creativity knows no boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! It seems that whenever we have snow, our deck rail becomes a roost for bluebirds, and they make for such beautiful pictures. When the snow began to melt, I tossed out some dry dog food to entice them a while longer, and other birds then came calling. I took about 300 pictures, of which about half came out alright! And some of the birds seemed to have so much personality, it was actually quite easy to build a story around the photos.

    I only regret that the pictures are not as crisp and bright as I would have liked. Some were shot on very cloudy, snowy days, and ALL were taken through the dirty glass n my French doors!

    PS - Mountain Woman, I can't believe you want even MORE birds with your menagerie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, I'm worried 'bout ya...ya done went and gone to the birds! Heeehehehee!

    This post is just the cutest and clever post I've read all day sweetie!

    Loved the pictures too. I can't seem to master the close ups of wild life.

    God bless and have an amazin' day!

    Giveaway...my place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant! I love how much personality you wrote into these spunky little feathered critters. You "interpreted" their expressions so well. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just LOVED this. You should make up some books for your grandchildren (oh yes, there will be many, LOL). They will FOREVER cherish them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ethel, this was so much fun. I think, although I cannot swear to it, that you might have performed a spot of gender reassignment here and there...but hey! It takes all kinds :-)

    Wonderful pictures and a wonderful tale.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was sitting on the edge of my seat! This is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I'm thinking I could hang out in your yard -- for days. How fun was that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww... what a cute story! Beautifully illustrated with those gorgeous photos too!

    I hope poor Snape got loose in the end though. I confess to a soft spot for starlings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, poor old Snape - eeek! Your photography is stunning, what a beautifully illustrated tale - I'm glad it had a happy ending (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pictures were lovely to look at on their own, but the story made it so much more fun. What an imagination! We have lots of birds too. I think I'll now wonder what they are thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  19. But you haven't told us how many babies they had!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YOU, Miss Ethel Mae Potter, are a story teller!

    I'll surely come backk for more visits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey stranger!!! i loved the story -- and of course the pix. are these taken in your yard?
    i have a lot of catchin up to do here --- i miss you terribly -- but think of you lots! hoping ALL is very well in your world!
    HUGS EM

    ReplyDelete
  22. You need to put this in a book...maybe clean up the "shady" parts, of course, but it's a great story! (I need to get over here lots more often!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute story...and as always...LOVE the pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pictures.
    Snape really did look like a villain, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know what? I thoroughly enjoyed that! I think you could put that in a book too. Kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable story! Great photos!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Much as I love and appreciate awards, I can no longer accept awards with attached meme's. But please, leave a comment!

Fred and Ethel Go to Disneyworld

blogapedia

Blog Directory

blogged.com

Blog Catalog

Family Friendly Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory